Friday 4 September 2009

Preparing for Wigeon

This has been an interesting week to say the least. Wigeon is arriving on Monday so there's been a lot to do to try and be truly ready for her. The hiding of any attackable wires, in fact anything that might be possible puppy chewing material. Then there's getting ready for the likelihood of times coping with a widdling Wigeon until she becomes properly house trained. These are just for starters. I got her a new bowl and a collar today - just a temporary baby collar as she'll be in a proper hound collar when she's big enough. Judging by the amount she's grown in those last two weeks, it won't be that long. I've dug out some puppy toys too that my old girl has grown out of playing with .....mostly!

I realised that it's 11 years since I brought a puppy up and that seems so long ago. I've sometimes thought of my life in the dogs who have shared life with me and seen how ones life passes with these special friends. It's going to be interesting to find out what my 11 year old thinks of her new housemate. Thankfully the lively old girl has a wonderful nature and so I hope that she will have the sense to lay down the ground rules with Wigeon and then come to love having a canine companion again in the house instead of being stuck with boring me and her canine and human friends up on the farm.

Oh, and I also bought the all important bag of puppy food today. One of the most critical things to get right from the start for the young Wigeon to get her as strong as possible. I don't want her to end up in the serious state her mum has done.

Her mum, Teasel, had a trip to the vet yesterday as there has been a lot of worry about her condition ....or lack of it. The vet asked loads of questions; all of which couldn't be answered as we know nothing about her other than when she came into the rescue centre and when she had the 11 pups, rearing 9 of them. Today, after Teasel's first lot of injections and the medicines the vet gave her she did look brighter ....now, if only we could get some weight on those bones of hers. She's in good hands with my mum so that's hopeful to bring any dog round to full health. It's the canine equivalent of intensive care with loads of TLC thrown in too.

I'll have to recheck the garden for any 'potential escape routes' on Sunday but I'm scuppered for now as I had a steroid injection into my right knee today so I've (in theory and hopefully in practice) to rest the leg for a couple of days to get the greatest benefit from the injection. That's important as I need to be as mobile as possible to cope with an active youngster when she comes. She might run rings round me as it is! One thing ......I wondered if Wigeon will grin like my old dog does? I do hope so as it's such an endearing trait. Do you think she'll pick it up as 'learned behaviour?'

The other very important thing I have to do now is to get ready for a poetry reading I'm doing on Sunday in Callander as part of the Poetry Scotland weekend (I think that's what it's called!) I'll just try to be at the right place at the right time, catch up with fellow eco-poets from the region who I'm reading with and hopefully we'll all read well and perhaps we might even have a dry day for a change?!

7 comments:

Titus said...

Good luck on all fronts! It's a lot of work to get ready for a new arrival in the house, but the pleasure will more than reward it.
I don't think all dogs grin, so it will be intersting to see if Wigeon does develop one.
Best wishes for Teasel.
And Callander! I've answered my own questions. Good luck, and dry weather.

Wigeon said...

Thanks Titus! I just hope I've thought of everything for this new arrival. I'll soon find out come Monday.
Looking forward to reading on Sunday. I just hope the knee holds up on me!
Hopefully Teasel will do well with intensive care from Liz and the meds from the vet. Fingers crossed as she's such a sweetie. She certainly deserves some good luck too.

Eryl said...

Good luck with the poetry reading, and, of course, the new arrival who is very cute.

Wigeon said...

Thanks Eryl! Off for the poetry just now with chapbooks and my reading material uppermost on the 'to take' list.
I've got the cutie pie to look forward to collecting from the rescue centre tomorrow - yippee!

Wigeon said...

It's also really wonderful to have Titus and Eryl as the first followers of the progress of wee Wigeon. The more poets the better - you can never have too many of us.

angryparsnip said...

I'm not a poet but I have to say that you are one adorably puppy. . That is a Fabulous picture of you. I have been checking on your progress and you have grown quite a-bit.
It sounds like you will be living with a very special person. . . Best Wishes !

All my Scotties smiled and I adore it!

cheers. . . parsnip

Wigeon said...

Hi Parsnip, thanks for welcoming Wigeon and it's good to know you've found this wee shrimp too. She is a real cutie pie - more so when she's resting or she's just woken up! Being a poet is not obligatory to follow Wigeon's progress. I dream about being a real poet but I am trying hard!
Say hello to your Scotties please - how many are in your plural?